Monday, July 20, 2009

New home and a wonderful weekend

Great news! Found out today that the new apartment will be ready on August 1st! What a relief to know the end of the heat and high bills is in sight. It'll be tricky as I have a baby shower to attend in the middle of the day, but we have three days to get everything moved over. The other bit of good news is that the previous tenant apparently trashed the place in her disgust at being evicted, so we get new everything: paint, blinds, carpet, etc. Now I can finally be excited, since we have a date. Only 11 days to go!

This weekend was great. I spent Friday afternoon with my friends' 10-year-old daughter, Boogie. Boogie's grandma was the youth group director at my church, and though I no longer attend, we've remained close and Boogie's parents have become very dear friends. Boogie and her brother have called me "aunt" since as long as I can remember, and I absolutely love hanging out with them. I took Boogie to the mall for lunch, and then we walked around a bit, just chatting. She's reaching that adolescent phase where life is unfair and moms aren't very cool. I don't think any of us were prepared for such a sweet-natured and truly cool little girl to go through this phase, and certainly not at 10. I assured her that everyone goes through it, and that in about 10 years, she'll realize how awesome her mom is. I told her how much we all just want her to be happy and a good person, and we all have her best interest at heart. I'm so not ready for her to grow up, but I look forward to the evolution of our friendship as she grows.

We spent Saturday evening at Dave & Buster's with our friend in the Army - he's being deployed very soon and was home for a visit. Saturday was the great tasting and dinner out at Ra for sushi. Yesterday, I had to work on a paper for school and we ended up going to karaoke. It's become our new tradition: $2 Coronas and bad singing. There's an old guy, Bill, who sings songs like what I remember on my grandma's radio when I was little. He usually stays in one spot to sing, but last night he was roaming the floor singing to all of us girls at our tables. I was pretty embarrassed, but it was the most fun we've had a Sunday night karaoke yet.

No comments: