Monday, May 17, 2010

Sweet Weekend

We had such a great weekend! friday night at my friend's house was a lot of fun. We went over for dinner and to celebrate little Eli's 10 days on Earth. Fariba's one of 8 children - 6 girls and 2 boys. All but one of her sisters made the trip along with her mom. So it was a house full of people, especially since her husband's mother and his brother's family (with 4 more kids) were there. The food was amazing. Dan and I were both a little worried since we're not what you'd call adventerous with foreign cuisine, but it was all awesome. Apparently, the ladies were cooking for some 9 hours. We had saffron chicken, lamb, spinach, eggplant, spicy potatoes, rice, and then a bunch of sauces to accompany it all. Dan cleaned his plate and went back for more. For desert, we had delicious apple pie, a chocolate cake, and my cookies.

On Saturday, I woke up to a text from a friend asking if I wanted to go to the dog park. So I packed up my Girls and hopped in the car. We were going to a huge dog park about 20 minutes away. Of course, I got lost. The website I looked up for directions was way off. I drove around trying to find the place. Of course, my friend hadn't brought her phone, so I was hopelessly lost. The dogs were whining in the car. Finally, I gave up and decided to turn around and go back home. About a minute later, I drove right past it. Yes, folks, I managed to pass by this... twice:
Doh!! So, an hour after getting the text, I finally showed up. My friend was about to leave, but decided to stay. About a half hour later, I got a text from Dan: "do you have my keys?" Double doh! Turns out, when we went to Fariba's the night before, we shuffled cars around, and Dan's keys were left in my car. So we had to go back home so Dan could go work at a customer's house. And then, the worst part: I went to use the little ladies' facilities, and my phone slipped out of my pocket and into the toilet. Triple doh! After that, I wasn't very happy.

I started working on the Tinkerbell cake for Fariba's nieces, worried that the events that had transpired by 9am would be indicative of my day. Dan got home and we headed to the Verizon store, where the guy made cut me some slack and allowed me to upgrade with new contract prices 42 days early. I'm now the proud owner of a Blackberry. When we got home, I made fondant for the first time for the cake and began assembling and decorating. Here's the finished Tinkerbell cake:

The bowl cake ended up being very dense and not looking too big, so I did some chocolate cupcakes on the side. The petals are fondant and the pink frosting is raspberry butter cream. I was very happy with how it all came out, and the birthday girls were ecstatic.

Yesterday, we went to lunch with friends. Well, it was meant to be lunch. We got to the Dubliner at 2 and left at... oh, 7:15. Yeah, looooong lunch. And then I had to make Philadelphia Eagles cookies. They came out really cute, too I think. The wings on the helmets are a little cartoony, but the recipient loved them:

And yes, I am (now) aware that #5, Donovan McNabb, no longer plays for the Eagles. Ooops. Good words about my cookies have been spread, and someone who used to work at our site emailed me today asking if I can do an order for her brother's graduation - very exciting!

All in all, we had a lovely weekend. I got a new phone, went through 6 pounds of powdered sugar, dyed my fingers green permanently, and got to have a great time with friends. How was your weekend?


Meghan said...

Oh wow! Your creations are AMAZING! I wish I was that talented!

KingstonsQueen said...

Thank you!

BrownEyedGirlsMom said...

You rock woman!

Anonymous said...

The cookies and the cake came out amazing. I am having a hard time not being jealous of your fantastic skills. My baked goods always taste good, but they never look just right. And I suck at decorating cookies. Next time I have an event, I'm placing my order.

When J and I first moved into the house, we only had one car with one set of keys. On April 15th (2 weeks after we moved in) I went to work with those keys in my pocket. J had to walk 2 miles to the train and ended up getting to work at 11am. Not great for the tax director to show up that late on the busiest tax day of the year...oops! At least you were sort of close to home...

And sucks about your phone...but congrats on the new BB. Glad you had a good weekend.

Salt said...

OMG! Everything looks wonderful! I can imagine that those little girls loved that cake. She is magical. And I think the cupcakes were an excellent decision. :)

YOu are totally in business now, girl!! Can you make Ravens cookies? ;)