Wednesday, September 30, 2009

You Are My Sunshine...

It takes 30 seconds to sing You Are My Sunshine. How do I know this? Because I sang it to myself last night at boot camp - as I always do - during our 30 second interval exercises. I counted, and I sang it 62 times last night. The entire evening was interval exercises.

Why that song? Get ready for vomit-inducing mushiness. Not long after Mr. Kingston and I started seriously dating, I caught a cold. We'd planned to spend the weekend together, and though I was sick, Mr. Kingston said he just wanted my company. So we spent the weekend on my couch, watching movies while he took care of me. He's the BEST nurse, let me tell you. At one point, in all my medicine crazed, shivery, snotty glory, I whined "sing me a soooong, I don't feeeeel good." Attractive, I know. And his selection was You Are My Sunshine.

Though I wouldn't say it's "our song" - the first dance at our wedding will be the first time we'll have ever slow danced to music - it's certainly close to our hearts. It's the guaranteed cheer-up for either of us. It's not uncommon for one or the other of us to sing it once a week just to make the other smile. Thus, it's my go-to song to get through a tough workout and take my mind off the aches in my muscles. And at the end of it all, I get to go home to My Sunshine.

No comments: