Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Weekend Wrap-up and WWYD?

Dan (Mr. Kingston) and I spent this past weekend with his parents, brother, David, and our future sister-in-law Alex. On Friday night, we had dinner at the in-law's house. My in-laws have never met my future sister-in-law's parents so it was an evening of meet-and-greets. We ate dinner, drank wine, played darts and chatted. I think it went better than some of us younger people suspected.

On Saturday, we spent just about the whole day with David and my parents-in-law. Alex went out dress shopping with friends. I'm amazed at how much David and Alex got done in terms of wedding planning in just three days. They booked their venue, DJ, florist, photographer, and cake baker. They're (or maybe it's all Alex) incredible planners! Anyway, we started out hanging out at my father-in-law's favorite neighborhood bar, then ran some errands for our BBQ that evening. It was really nice to see so many of our friends. Everyone had a great time sitting around the fire outside and catching up. Our friends' little boy just loves Dan, and was glued to him all night. It's so cute seeing Dan have a little buddy and listening to him chat away.

Back at home on Sunday, I spent the afternoon napping with the dogs (they were so tired from their weekend of play). In the evening, we did a deep clean of our spare bedroom and mass throwing-out of crap we no longer need. Nothing too exciting, but it felt good to purge the apartment of useless junk. We watched our favorite shows on our favorite network, the Food Network. I'm such a junkie for shows like Challenge, Chopped, and Iron Chef. I really love the network's newest show, Worst Cooks in America (which makes even me look like a star chef). Oh, Food Network, I love you.

Speaking of Food Network, Aunt Becky posed a question yesterday regarding what she would do if she could just up and leave her life and do something else. After thinking about it, I decided that I would want to be a chef, or at least go to culinary school and be more skilled in my hobby. Yep, after years of having no interest in cooking, I suddenly wish I'd given it more thought. I haven't gotten really adventurous, but I like being creative in the kitchen. I think as I try more, I'll get more confident and try expanding my horizons even more. Or maybe I just have a dream of being on Chopped and experiencing the anticipation of opening the basket of mis-matched secret ingredients, thinking fast to figure out a dish to incorporate them skillfully, and waiting intensely as the judges taste and vote out the worst. I think I could be good at that.

So, since I thought it was such a good question and fun to think about, what would you do if you could go back and choose another career path? What passion has come about that you wish you could pursue?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this question and have thought about it lots of times. If I could go back and do anything else, I would want to own a niche shop that sells vinyl toys and Blythe dolls. There is exactly ONE store in my city that has that market cornered and it's always busy and popular, plus I love that stuff.

It sounds like you guys had a fun weekend. I'm glad everything went well and you ended up having a good time!