Wednesday, July 21, 2010

WTF Wednesday: Where's my hat?

Has anyone been watching American's Got Talent, also known as "We Wish We Were American Idol?" Sadly, I have. While I'm a huge reality TV fan, talent shows aren't really my thing. I do love me some audition episodes, but once those are over, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects. America's Got Talent is the only talent show for which I've managed to hang in there and watch the actual competition. It's pretty cool, actually. There's a huge variety of acts, from this crazy skinny couple who dances on a rock climbing wall, to break-dancing children, to some serious air guitarists, to this guy:


This is Hannibal Means. Only he doesn't say it Han-i-bul Means like the rest of us. No, no, no. Sistafriend says it "Hah-nee-bahl Mmmmeans." The best part is, the three judges on the show (Piers Morgan of The Apprentice, Sharon Osborne Princess of Darkness, and Howie Mandel of Deal or No Deal) all pronounce it like you or I would. Only Nick Cannon (bless his heart) pronounces it Hah-nee-bahl. AnyMr.MariahCarey, Hah-nee-bahl has this amazing opera singing voice, but he's a little freaking weird. The guy is from Oakland, but he talks like he's from high society England or something. He's all spiritual, which isn't a bad thing, but he talks about singing like it's a sexual act with God himself (forgive me) and it scares me. Last night before his performance, they recapped his prior AGT performances and showed a little of his home life. There was a brief clip of our singer walking along the beach in this:


Image source

He crocheted that unicorn hat, a head piece only a mother and a Salt could love. And he made others, too, an entire menagerie of animal hats. He handed them out to his stage dancers (who made the most awesome faces upon seeing them) for his rendition of "Circle of Life" from The Lion King. I had no idea that there was a unicorn in the movie, I must have missed that, along with the penguin and the frog. Ah well. Anyway, the performance was really lovely, even if he was odd. Howie Mandel summed it up perfectly: "I'm scared of you, frankly." Sharon Osborne asked for a puppy dog hat (which Hah-nee-ball says he already has) and Nick Cannon donned his Sea Dragon hat, which had a name I don't remember. What a good sport!

Image source

Tonight is the results show, so we'll see if Hah-nee-bahl Mmmeans makes it through to the next round. I have no doubt that if he does, there'll be another round of "WTF?!" from me.

Anyone else watching AGT? Who's your favorite act?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch this, but J was flipping around last night and we caught those rock wall dancers. They were amazing. Just that the didn't fall off was pretty impressive.