Friday, February 17, 2012

Random Musings Friday

Happy Friday! Holy shizballs, this week felt long! Here's my brain dump:

- I just can't get into a sympathetic frame of mind over Whitney Houston's death. I respect that she's a person who died and that's sad for her family and loved ones, but in my humble opinion, she was a crackhead with a once great voice and her death was not surprising due to her lifestyle. I say "once great" because her continued drug use damaged it. She was a troubled soul, and I'm glad that she no longer suffers, but I always find it interesting when celebrities with troubled pasts pass away and we seem to forget the troubled part. Either way, rest in peace, Whitney.

- I had my second lia sophia show last night, hosted by my mother-in-law at my house. It was small and fun, but I was hoping for bigger sales for her. I'm kicking tail on my start-up sales goals, which is great, and I've gotten bookings out of both shows, so I'm thankful for a successful start. I have two more shows this weekend, and I'm just hoping they go really well for my hostesses, because I am so thankful they agreed to help me get started.

- Dan and I bought the paint for the craft room on Sunday, and I'm hoping we can get started with the makeover this weekend.

- Speaking of this weekend, we're going to the body art expo. I've never been to one and I'm really excited. I really have no idea what to expect. Our tattoo artist is entering one of Dan's pieces in a contest and I'm super excited for both of them.

- Confession: I got a tattoo symbolizing our infertility and - aside from posting it on Facebook with a vague explanation of its meaning - haven't really shown it to anyone. My confession is that I worry that people would think that since we didn't try treatment, getting a permanent mark of our experience would be making a mountain out of a molehill. I struggle a lot with feeling like we haven't "suffered" enough, and I need to come to terms with that.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Don't forget to go see the other link-ups at Shana's site. Oh, and! Amanda's lia sophia virtual jewelry extravaganza ends Wednesday and a I threw in a special deal for orders submitted this weekend, so go visit her, too.

6 comments:

PinkieBling said...

A body art expo? How COOL!

I think your tattoo is a great idea. Infertility changed your expectations of life, and I think that's worth marking.

Good luck with your shows!

Laura Diniwilk said...

Totally agree with you about Whitney. I have been completely baffled by the people who are SURPRISED about this turn of events. CRACK IS WHACK.

Forget about everyone else. Your decision was what is best for you, and I can't imagine that anything about your infertility, including the decision to not get treatment, was even remotely easy for you. I'd love to see it if you change your mind about sharing!

Kallay said...

I think it's a little heart breaking that people would judge you for symbolizing something that is a struggle for you. I mean, you're either infertile or you're not, whether or not you seek treatment is your business and no one else's. I don't think you should have to dirty a pallet of boxes of Kleenex before you make your decision. Just because Guiliana and Bill are sacrificing their money and (quite literally) their lives to try and have a child, doesn't mean that's the right choice for everyone. It doesn't make them better or worse at infertility than you. (or more sad or more deserving) Wear your tattoo proud! You deserve to for being strong enough to know your own limitations. Wow, that was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be.

Great job on your jewelry sales! Have fun this weekend!

Anonymous said...

The saddeest thing about Whitney is knowing that it was all her choice, no one else's. All the money in the world does not make one happy.

Your tatto is beautiful and all that matters is that it symbolizes something very important to you and Dan. When you told me what it meant I thought it was a great expression of how deeply infertility has touched your life.

Allyson said...

I completely agree with you about Whitney Houston. Any death s sad. And I respect the talent that she once had. But I can't waste energy and feelings on someone who chose to throw it all away. I think that's wasteful. I finally had to stop watching the news altogether when they started talking about flying the flags at half mast...because...REALLY??? No. As a military wife, I can't read that and be OK with it.

Also...your tattoo is absolutely beautiful. I think that you have suffered enough for 100 lifetimes so please don't feel like you haven't. Besides you suffer with every new anouncement....every new post...every new picture. There is no reason to think that's "not enough." I truly wish I could wave a wand and take it away from you. I wish mamas who wanted to be mamas could have babies and I wish babies were born healthy, full-term, and ready to live a full life. I wish that, where children are concerned, women didn't have to suffer. It feels like a punishment...even though, in the end, it's just life.

Shana said...

I think your tattoo is beautiful. I'm so sorry that people make you feel as though you haven't suffered enough. In my opinion...those people should just go suck an egg. I think you should show off your tattoo proudly.

And Whitney...yeah...I was over the constant news coverage after an hour!