Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Musings Free Your Mind

Buckle Up. This could be long. I didn't get to a random musings post on Friday, but it turns out my weekend was more fun/interesting to talk about anyway. Kind of. So now, brought to you by cold medicines galore and a head stuffed full of cotton, I bring you Monday Musings Free Your Mind, where I mash two posts together and hope for the best.

- Last week, we were informed that we get to go to Morristown for work. For a day. Yep, the VP, in his infinite wisdom wants us to make the trek to New Jersey for a one-day meeting. The good thing is, my boss doesn't seem to be seeing the sense in this, and it sounds like I may be going earlier and working from there for a day. Maybe. Hurray for not rapidly flying across country and back, but boo for being away from home longer, which is bound to make me cranky.

- Speaking of cranky, I have a cold. I spent yesterday on the couch for the most part while Dan finished painting the first color of the guest room. I did a fair amount of whining, and when laying on the couch had tired me out enough, I went back to bed. I hate that I'm at work sick today (because if it was someone else, I'd be bitching about them exposing me to their plague), but it's month-end close. My plan today is to get as much done as I can and go back home. I'm already starting to feel hazy.

- I spent part of Saturday with Temerity Jane sans Penny, who had some crankiness of her own going on. We met up, headed to Old Navy for flip flops, then went for pedicures. After that, we went out for lunch at the only place we ever seem to go (The Yardhouse is yummy, though). It's always nice to have girl time, and TJ and I see eye-to-eye on quite a few things, so that was fun. Then I shadowed a very successful lia sophia advisor and spent Saturday night with the pups, take-out, and movies while Dan went dirt-bike riding with the boys.

- While we were getting our pedicures, the nail lady asked if we were married and then if we had kids. We both said we were married, TJ mentioned Penny, and I said I had no children. The nail lady said, "yet..." And I said, "no, none for us." As much as I am passionate about raising IF awareness, the nail lady I'll never see again doesn't need to know, and I'm not going to explain it in public. Apparently, my answer wasn't good enough and she ended up saying something along the lines of (in her Asian accent) "your husband okay you no want his kids?" Umm, say what? Love how that became my fault. That's the shiit I deal with. She's lucky I've been in a good place lately and didn't accidentally on purpose kick her. She should thank my therapist.


Alright, now onto the next installment of mind-freeing questions:

16. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy? This really isn't a mind-boggling question, if you ask me. We all value different things and have different interests. We’re all unique and different things make us tick. You may love stamp-collecting, while I'd rather make headbands or wreaths or something. There's no right or wrong when it comes to what fulfills you.

17. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back? I really want to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra in concert. I guess what’s holding me back is making the effort to buy tickets and go. It always strikes me as a pricey show, and though I know I'd love it, I can't seem to justify it. One day, though.

18. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of? Who isn’t? I think we all have something that we know we need to let go, and we play it off like it's not a big deal, but it IS a big deal and we're not ready yet.

19. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why? I love the Northwest and would love to live in Seattle near my sister.

20. Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster? No! I don’t mess with elevators at all. If you push stuff, it might stop, and then I’ll be trapped. Elevators are terrifying, and you never touch them more than necessary. Ever.


Happy Monday Musings Free Your Mind, friends :)

5 comments:

Erin said...

That nail salon situation is like Noemi's plane ride one -- how much information do you give? ALL the information isn't their business, but it would maybe shut them up. Unless it didn't, and then you're stuck with a conversation you don't want to be having.

I mean, if you were planning to have kids and just hadn't yet, you would probably have said, "No kids yet."

Ugh. People annoy me. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Brooke said...

That's the problem, sometimes, Erin. If I do open up and give some info, people seem to think it's an invitation to comment on what we should do. And yes, you're exactly right - when we were trying, I would often say "no kids yet" or "someday." This was a very different, blunt response. Didn't think it was much of a discussion extender, but I was clearly wrong.

PinkieBling said...

People are ridiculous. What a horrible thing for her to say!

The part about elevators cracked me up!

Shana said...

The nail salon situation just solidifies my theory that some people are assholes and don't know when to keep their traps shut.

And you should go see Trans Siberian Orchestra. I haven't yet...but John's sister in law goes every year and says it's a fantastic show.

Laura Diniwilk said...

Fertile or not, people LOOOOOOOOVE to get up in everyone else's business regarding children. My eyebrow lady is OBSESSED with the fact that we are done having kids, and lectures me on it every. damn. time. If she didn't do such a good job taming my unibrow, I would ditch her for less nosy pastures. I'm sorry you have to put up with this, how annoying!