Friday, June 24, 2011

Good-bye, 20's. It's been real

This weekend is my last as a 20-something. That's kind of hard for me to believe. Looking back at what I remember from being a 20-year-old, I'm amazed at all that's changed. There have been amazing times and not so amazing times, I've endured and I've triumphed. I've gained some amazing friends, while other friendships have fallen to the wayside. I've loved and I've lost. It's amazing to think back on what I've accomplished in 10 years:




  • I made the decision to leave Northern Arizona University and my pre-optometry major (what, you didn't think I've always dreamed of being a tax analyst, did you?)



  • I was a psychology major for one semester at The University of Arizona before taking an accounting class, which led to my third and final major choice



  • While in college, I worked as many as three jobs at once, including a propeller hat-wearing kiddie photographer, a paint-your-own-pottery store assistant manager, an American Eagle clothing seller, and a waitress.



  • The summer before my final year of school, my parents helped me buy a condo, hence the many jobs, and I have been on my own ever since.



  • I joined the International Fraternity of Delta Sigma Pi, and served as VP of Pledge Education my last semester while finishing school and working full time



  • I graduated with a BSBA in Accounting from the University of Arizona



  • I moved to Phoenix and started my first job, where I met Mrs. ESPN and got to travel the Western US



  • During my time at my traveling job, I went to Denver, Boise, LA, Seattle, San Francsico, and Nashville.



  • I went on three road trips: from San Diego to Napa on the PCH, Tucson to Rochester NY, and Tucson to Seattle



  • I traveled to Denver to visit a friend and former coworker and went to the Mile High Music Festival, where we saw Tom Petty, O.A.R., Jason Mraz, Flobots, Flogging Molly, and John Mayer. I actually missed the headliner, Dave Matthews, to fly back home.



  • I've been through 4 cars: a Toyota Tercel, a Nissan Pathfinder, a Nissan Altima, and my current Nissan Murano



  • I lived in 6 apartments in 5 years, which means my dad also accomplished a lot of heavy lifting



  • I adopted Paisley, and learned what it was like to have to truly take care of another living being


  • I discovered a love for baking and decorating, and have since made 2 wedding cakes and countless dozens of cookies and cupcakes.



  • I met and married my amazing husband and "I" became "we"



  • We adopted Clover


  • I earned my graduate degree in Taxation through the online program at The University of Tulsa and celebrated with a staycation at a resort.


  • We bought our first home and began trying to start our family

And that's just the stuff I can think of off hand. It's amazing the changes a decade brings. I'm excited for the weekend, and saying good-bye to my 20's. Mrs. ESPN is graciously hosting a party for me at her house, and I'm excited to see friends and family, hang out with everyone, and have some beverages and delicious food.



It's been great, 20's. Thank you to my awesome friends and family for making this past decade amazing. Here's to 30!

1 comment:

Shana said...

Wow - you've been really busy these last ten years!

Happy, happy birthday! I hope 30 is the best year yet.